Breast Augmentation and Scarring
An important question most patients ask Dr. Buford is what they can do to achieve the most optimal scars following surgery. To help incisions heal as best as possible, Dr. Buford has a very straightforward protocol that you will begin following your surgery.
First, your incisions will be covered with dressings for about a week. After that, dressings will be changed and replaced with fresh Steri-Strips which will then remain for another week. And after that, you will begin taping of your incisions for the next few months. Scar taping has been used for years and has shown significant promise in flattening and improving the overall appearance of scars. And while there are no guarantees as to outcome with any incision, Dr. Buford is very serious about the long-term appearance of your incisions and offers complimentary laser treatments to any of his breast enhancement patients whom he feels would be a good candidate.
Now that you know your options for a better scar, what are your options for where that scar is actually placed? There are several incisions that can be used for placement of breast implants and each comes with its respective advantages and disadvantages.
- Well hidden in the breast crease
- Easier to address pre-existing asymmetry of your breasts
- Easier access for placement of silicone implants
- The incision may become irritated by underwire bras during the early phases of healing
- May be easier to address nipple inversion at the time of surgery
- Slightly higher risk of losing nipple sensation (about 2-5%)
- May affect your ability to breast feed
- Scar is on the most noticeable part of your breast
- Scar is well hidden under your arm
- Highest risk for uneven placement of implants
- Challenging to place gel implants over 400 cc in size
- Requires conversion to another approach (PA/IMF) if you later need revision
Overall, Dr. Buford prefers the Inframammary incision followed by the Axillary Incision. He will discuss these options with you during your initial consultation along with your goals and suggest which approach he feels will help you achieve the most optimal result.
Ready for a Consultation?
Please contact Dr. Gregory A. Buford to schedule a consultation. Dr. Buford will be happy to discuss the breast implant procedure and ways in which he can reduce scarring from breast augmentation surgery. Our Denver, Colorado plastic surgeon can help you attain your goals.